Build your career with CanAm Insurance! Established in 1994, CanAm has become the benchmark for travel insurance.
The Applications Developer II will be involved in the full development life cycle of software solutions that will support the Business Operations or our Clients. These solutions can be Win32 or Web based, new development and/or updating/maintaining existing software using various tools/technologies, established standards and best practices. You will work closely with team members to understand the requirements and challenges of the solution. Working on your own or within a team, you will develop, deploy, maintain and support the solution. To be successful in this role, you will need to understand the business workflows and processes, have a solid knowledge of programming languages, good communication skills, a positive attitude, a desire to produce quality work, high concentration levels, good task management and excellent problem solving & critical thinking skills.
- Develop & maintain a solid understanding of the Business Operations and/or the needs of our Clients.
- Participate in department team meetings to provide high level task estimates, feedback and suggestions.
- Develop Software Solutions. This involves all aspects of development such as coding, building, testing, deployment, documentation (user guides and/or technical specifications), version control, etc.
- Maintain the Software Solutions. This includes (but not limited to) performing tasks such as correcting errors, implementing new requirements and/or workflows, developing/executing reports, modifying data tables to accommodate new data elements, adapting the application to meet evolving business needs and participating in the review/implementation of hardware/software upgrades.
- Collaborate with other team members to maintain documented, repeatable and effective processes to support, maintain and monitor Applications.
- Actively participate in support issues by monitoring the various Helpdesk ticket systems to identify, review, participate in and/or resolve reported issues. Issues can include (but not limited to) operational issues, issues with reports, application bugs, application change requests.
- Provide coaching to junior team members.
- Participate in departmental processes such as code reviews or disaster recovery testing to ensure established standards/procedures are achieved.
- Keep current with enhancements and updates to development tools by performing online research, attending webinars or seminars or reviewing documentation.
- Communicate issues clearly and concisely.
- Resolve issues through strong analytical and problem-solving skills; approach solutions from multiple perspectives. Places emphasis on solving problems properly and not just quickly.
- Secondary contact with the I.T. department/Third Party Vendors to setup, configure and maintain Application software/hardware (This may include off-hours work to complete necessary changes).
- Perform other duties as assigned within the spirit of this job description.
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in Computer Science.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in application design and development using React & Python.
- Must posses a strong knowledge of the following languages/tools:
- React, Python, Django, Celery, Git, SQL, Redis
- Additional skills (not required, but beneficial): MSSQL, WCAG.
Note: Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you require assistance or accommodation during our recruitment process, please notify Human Resources so that we can review and consider how we may be able to assist you based on your individual needs.